Dr. Chirag Thakkar
Dr. Chirag Thakkar is a gastro-intestinal, advanced laparoscopic and obesity surgeon. He is the founder director of Adroit Centre for Digestive and Obesity Surgery.
Dr. Chirag did his M.B.B.S. from B. J. Medical College, Ahmedabad, followed by his General Surgical training (M. S. in General Surgery) at Smt. N. H. L. Municipal Medical College, Ahmedabad. He then worked as a senior resident in the department of gastro-intestinal surgery at V. S. Hospital. He continued his training further in one of the best department of gastro-intestinal surgery in India at Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute (S.G.P.G.I.), Lucknow. There he worked with some of the pioneers of gastro-intestinal surgery in India and had extensive training in advanced abdominal surgeries like liver resections, pancreatic surgeries, esophageal surgeries, colo-rectal surgeries and surgeries for portal hypertension. He got a vast experience in managing complex gastro-intestinal surgical problems, including those with previous surgeries and their complications. He then did his fellowship in advanced laparoscopic and gastro-intestinal surgery at Kaizen Hospital under Dr. Sanjiv P. Haribhakti. Here he was trained thoroughly in advanced laparoscopic surgeries including laparoscopic colo-rectal surgery, thoracoscopic and laparoscopic esophageal surgery , laparoscopy for emergency abdominal problems, laparoscopic hernia surgery and minimal invasive surgeries for acute necrotising pancreatitis. He then worked for 3 years at CIMS hospital, Ahmedabad as a Consultant Gastro-Intestinal, Laparoscopic and Bariatric Surgeon before realising his dream of starting a Digestive and Obesity Surgery Centre.
He has earned the fellowship of the prestigious Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh (U.K.). He has taken training for esophageal manometry and 24 hr pH – Impedance studies and has a wide experience in this modality and in the management of esophageal motility disorders including achalsia cardia. His focus on esophageal cancer took him to Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai to refine his skills in the management of esophageal cancer. Finally he took a fellowship for upper gastro-intestinal and bariatric surgery at The Royal Aberdeen Infirmary at Aberdeen (U.K.) and learnt all the aspects of management of surgery for weight loss. He has done multiple paper and video presentations at national and international conferences. There are many publications on his name in national and international journals and he has also authored chapters in numerous books on gastro-intestinal surgery. He is an active member of many societies related to gastro-intestinal surgery and also of the esteemed Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh (U.K.).
He is having special interest in treatment of gastro-esophageal reflux disease(GERD – heartburn and gastritis ), esophageal motility disorders including achalsia cardia, weight loss and hernia surgery as well as treatment of esophageal and stomach cancers.
- Presented a paper at ESOINDIA 2013, an International Upper G I conference held at Chennai : ” Thoracoscopic part of minimal invasive Oesophagectomy in Semiprone position : Our initial Experience “
- Presented a paper at ESOINDIA 2013, an International Upper G I conference held at Chennai : “High Resolution Manometry (HRM) with Pressure Topography in evaluation of Achalasia Cardia: Our Initial experience “
- Poster presentation at IASGcon 2012, Bangalore : ” Anorectal Manometry in patients of Ulcerative Colitis treated by Laparoscopic Restorative Proctocolectomy “
- Delivered a lecture at Laparoscopic Hernia CME at Kaizen Hospital : ” Sterilization , Mesh and Fixation Devices in Laparoscopic Hernia Surgery “
- Paper presentation at AMASIcon 2012 : ” Thoracoscopic esophagectomy in semiprone position : Our initial experience “
- Video presentation at AMASIcon 2012 : ” Thoracolaparoscopic Esophagectomy with esophgeal mobilisation in semiprone position “
- Video presentation at AMASIcon 2012 : ” Laparoscopic Antrectomy and Billroth I reconstruction with intracorporeal handsewn anstomosis “
- Video presentation at IAGEScon 2012, Ahmedabad : ” Laparoscopic Choledochal cyst excision and Roux en Y Hepaticojejunostomy “
- Video presentation at IAGEScon 2012, Ahmedabad : ” Laparoscopic repair of adult diaphragmatic hernia “
- Poster presentation at International Association of Pancreatology and Indian Pancreas Club Conference 2011, Cochin, India : ” Traumatic Pancreatic Transection with External Pancreatic Fistula: It Is Possible To Salvage the Pancreas “
- Poster presentation at International Association of Pancreatology and Indian Pancreas Club Conference 2011, Cochin, India: “Post-Pancreaticoduodenectomy Hemorrhage in Periampullary Carcinoma: Results and Outcome According to the ISGPS Classification “
- AN ANALYSIS OF PET CT SCANS IN THE MANAGEMENT OF OESOPHAGEAL MALIGNANCY: International Journal of Surgery 11 (2013) 686-745 Chirag Thakkar, Manoj Kumar, Martha Madurska, Alan Denison, Russell Petty, Abdul Qadir, Duff Bruce. Aberdeen Royal Infirmary, Aberdeen, UK
- Thoracoscopic part of minimal invasive oesophagectomy in semiprone position: our initial experience. Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech. 2014 Aug;24(4):337-41 Thakkar CM1, Kumar AV, Soni HN, Shah AJ, Patel KS, Haribhakti SP.
- Case report on thoracoscopic esophagectomy for long segment resistant oesophageal stricture in HIV infected patient. International Journal of Surgery Case Reports 80 (2021) 105634 Chirag Thakkar∗, Vismit Joshipira
- Textbook of G I Surgery by Dr Sanjiv Haribhakti. ‘Anatomy of Esophagus’ . Sanjiv Haribhakti , Chirag Thakkar
- Textbook of G I Surgery by Dr Sanjiv Haribhakti. ‘Anatomy of Stomach’ . Sanjiv Haribhakti , Chirag Thakkar
- Textbook of G I Surgery by Dr Sanjiv Haribhakti. ‘Metabolic Surgery’. Atul Shah, Chirag Thakkar
- Association of Surgeons of India (ASI)
- Indian Association of Surgical Gastroenterologist (IASG)
- Association of Minimal Access Surgeons of India (AMASI)
- Indian Association of Gastro and Endoscopic Surgeons (IAGES)
- Indian Society for the Disease of Esophagus and Stomach (ISES)
- Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- Hernia Society of India
- American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS)